Saturday, April 4, 2015

De Ronde on Easter Sunday, sans Tom and Spartacus

This year's Ronde will be less exciting than last year's, if you're a fan of Tom and Spartacus fighting it out. Instead, there will be a greater chance that someone else wins, because both Tom and Spartacus are out due to horrible injury (dislocated shoulder and fractured vertebrae, respectively). Only one starter is a former victor of De Ronde, Stijn Devolder, and most likely, even though TFR is great, there will be a first-time victor of De Ronde. Anyone could win, but not really. So it'll be pretty interesting, but not so exciting. Last year's Ronde was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen. It's also the first Ronde to be on Easter Sunday since 2010 (can someone confirm this for me? I'm lazy). So the spectators will be moving from Easter service outside to somewhere to hang out and watch De Ronde.

I'm going to try to go next year to De Ronde, since it's like the national holiday of Belgiums. Also Greg told me to go to Germany to go to Belgium and I can't not listen to Greg. And perhaps I might rent a bike and ride to Belgiums from Germany and around all of the famous bergs, like the Muur, the Koppenberg, the Taienberg, and the Oude Kwaremont etc. Anyways, I'm glad that my church is having an afternoon Easter service, so I can go there after watching an interesting, though not that exciting Ronde on TV. And remember, Paris-Roubaix the following Sunday.

Most of you probably don't have a lick of an idea of what I'm talking about. I don't blame you. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. Except I'm definitely the expert when it comes to De Ronde.

Here's a picture of the Kapelmuur on a normal day for those of you who are interested and have no idea what I'm talking about.

And here's a picture of the Kapelmuur on Easter Sunday of 2010.

Unfortunately, the Muur hasn't featured since 2011 because they moved the finish to Oudenaarde.

And if you've made it to the end, you still probably have no idea what I'm talking about. But that's not my fault. It's yours.




2 comments:

  1. Tony, you sure are THE EXPERT when it comes to De Ronde!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I became THE EXPERT, I cannot tell you, it's confidential.

      Delete